Download FREE briefings. Have an account? Please log in. Text Size: A A A

Lord Howard: Turning the Flank at Flodden Hill

Military History

Lord Howard: Turning the Flank at Flodden Hill

With the flower of Scots chivalry dug in atop Flodden Hill, English Lord Howard proposed to outflank the enemy in broad daylight—with his entire army.

With the flower of Scots chivalry dug in atop Flodden Hill, English Lord Howard proposed to outflank the enemy in broad daylight—with his entire army.

by Robert Swain

Flanking movements were long known to English military commanders, but traditionally they were limited to maneuvers by one wing around an enemy’s line—not by the entire army itself, which would have been considered highly unorthodox and far too risky. At least that was the thinking in the autumn of 1513, when the English had to deal with the sudden appearance of James IV of Scotland, streaming across the border with an unprecedentedly large army of 40,000 men. What made the situation even more trying was that young King Henry VIII—James’s brother-in-law—was off pursuing glory in France with the cream of England’s fighting men, leaving the country’s defense in the hands of a 69-year-old general whose family name was still under a pall from its misbegotten participation in the War of the Roses three decades earlier.

The perceived wisdom of what a successful flanking maneuver could accomplish would change radically that September when the English realized with alarm that the Scots were deadly serious about honoring their “Auld Alliance” with France. Responding to a piteous entreaty from Queen Anne of Brittany to help her resist “the daring insolence of a royal outlaw”—Henry VIII—James had first ordered a raid-in-force in mid-August to distract Henry from his marauding agenda in France, but this chivalrous initiative won James only seven burned villages in Northumberland before an English force in the area fell on the Scots, inflicting several hundred casualties and taking an additional 300 prisoners. This reversal was sufficient to cause the Scots to withdraw from the scene, and the debacle quickly became known as the “Ill Raid” on both sides of the border.

40,000 Scotsmen, 5,000 French Troops

Undeterred, James raised an even larger army at Edinburgh and again crossed into England at Coldstream on August 22. Accompanying his army of 40,000 Scotsmen was a contingent of 5,000 French troops under the command of the Comte d’Aussi, whose ranks included a number of military advisers whose mission was to teach the Scots how to employ the formidable 18-foot-long Swiss pikes that were all the rage in Europe at the time. Augmenting James’s armament were 17 pieces of artillery, including seven enormous brass cannon called the Seven Sisters that required a team of 36 oxen each to pull.

The Scottish army, the flower of its country’s feudal chivalry, was characteristically pugnacious, although somewhat unsettled by persistent rumors of ill omens hanging over the campaign. It was widely reported that a mysterious, gray-haired old man at St. Michael’s Church in Linlithgow had warned the king personally not to venture into England, and that a disembodied voice at Mercat Cross in Edinburgh had been calling thousands of men by name to prepare to meet their doom in 40 days. Such omens were taken seriously by the superstitious Scots, but they valued their own courage and reputations too much to turn back.

Alerted by Spies to the Troubling New Incursion

While James was heading south, hounded by phantoms, Thomas Howard, the elderly Earl of Surrey, was being alerted by spies to the troubling new incursion. Widely regarded as a national hero in England for his numerous campaigns against the always bothersome Scots, Surrey was staying at Pontefract Castle in west Yorkshire. Still angry about being left behind to defend the realm while the king was off chasing martial glory in France, Surrey mustered what troops he could locally and ordered his son, 40-year-old Thomas Howard II, now serving as Henry’s lord admiral, to ship his remaining artillery to Newcastle, roughly 100 miles south of Edinburgh on the coast.

When the presence of well-armed Scottish troops in northern England was confirmed, Surrey sent an urgent appeal to the York city council to authorize the immediate muster of more militia. Meanwhile, he prepared to move north and take command personally. James, for his part, was surprised to learn that Surrey was making such a determined show of energy, believing him too old for active campaigning. But others in the Scottish camp, well aware of Surrey’s long-proven combativeness, were increasingly apprehensive. While James dallied at Castle Ford with Lady Heron, wife of the castle’s absent lord, his rain-soaked nobles in the field grumbled unhappily among themselves.

Upholding his reputation for unflinching defense of England’s border, Surrey came steadily north, gaining an additional 20,000 men through forced levies along the way.

“An Old Crooked Earl in a Chariot”

Upholding his reputation for unflinching defense of England’s border, Surrey came steadily north, gaining an additional 20,000 men through forced levies along the way. After resting briefly in Durham, he led his troops 16 miles farther north to Newcastle, where the royal artillery was waiting as ordered, brought ashore by his son along with 1,200 marines from the royal fleet. Despite the comforting arrival of reinforcements, Surrey’s situation remained tenuous at best. His army was easily outnumbered by James’s force and ill supplied with food in a barren area that seldom produced a surplus harvest. Besides, as James suspected, Surrey was beginning to feel his age, and a flare-up of rheumatism made it difficult for him to move about. Accordingly, he kept to his coach, earning him the scornful description, “an old crooked earl in a chariot.”

Howard’s presence at his father’s side prompted Surrey to convene a parley of his officers and announce that his son would serve as his second-in-command. Surrey’s staff, like all of England, was well aware of the lord admiral’s naval heroics two years earlier, when he had captured King James’s flagship and killed his Scottish counterpart. They found his new appointment entirely agreeable. Turning their attention to supplies, a hurried check revealed that the English had just enough beer left for two more days and sufficient food for four. This prompted Howard to argue that it was imperative to goad James into battle immediately, no matter how outnumbered they were at the moment. An army might be able to fight without food, but an army without beer was another matter altogether. For the time being, no decision was made about what to do next—except to march on and be guided by events.

Howard Spoiling for a Fight

Surrey, like his son, was worried that they might exhaust their foodstuffs or that James might withdraw across the border. Agitated by continuing rumors of the latter, Surrey reconvened his war council with an air of urgency. Some in the group recommended a strategic retreat to reestablish their supply lines, but Howard disagreed and insisted that they move even closer to James’s position, now only six miles away. Spoiling for a fight, Howard wanted more than anything to tempt James and his ever-aggressive Scots into combat. Despite resistance from several nobles who considered this a foolhardy course of action, Surrey ended the debate by agreeing with his son. Recalling James’s chivalrous nature from personal contact with the king 10 years earlier, Surrey decided to send a direct challenge. In a hand-delivered note he offered to give battle no later than Friday, September 9, three days hence, between noon and 3 pm, and he politely requested James “to tarry for the same.”

The Howards, father and son, hoped that James would consider himself honor-bound to fight his challenging opponent.

The Howards, father and son, hoped that James would consider himself honor-bound to fight his challenging opponent. This was what chivalrous knights were supposed to do, but at first James did not take the bait. Instead, annoyed by Surrey’s impertinent challenge, he replied disdainfully, “Who is a mere earl to set terms for a king?” He continued moving westward to take an exceptionally strong position on a 500-foot-high, mile-long hill named Flodden Edge, near the River Till. There he would have a marsh on his left and a steep slope on his right. With little choice, Surrey moved his army closer to James’s position, not realizing that the Scots had greatly strengthened it with the addition of a manmade parapet and a newly dug ditch.

Making Another Appeal to James

Coming into view of the Scots on the high ground just to the north, the Howards were shaken to see that the only passable approach to James’s position ran straight up the middle of the now heavily defended hill. As the Surreys realized at a glance, such an advance would mean braving the fire of well-placed artillery and archers shooting down at them from higher ground—a near-suicidal prospect at best.

Determined not to leave matters as they were, Surrey made another appeal to James’s chivalrous nature, suggesting somewhat disingenuously that the Scots relocate to more equitable ground. He justified the ridiculous request by reminding James that his original offer of battle implied meeting on “a fair field.” But James frustrated Surrey once again by refusing even to see the herald who brought the message. Surrey’s pledge to fight on September 9 still stood, but he had failed to effect a change in the Scottish position. The only satisfaction he could derive from his letter-writing ploys was the knowledge that the Scots were still in England—they had not withdrawn across the border as he had feared.

Flanking With the Entire Army

Surrey called another council of war to review his options. Before much could be said, Howard forestalled further discussion by bringing up a daring and heretofore untried idea: marching the entire army (sans heavy baggage) around the eastern flank of James’s position and launching an attack from the rear. The council sat still, hearts in their mouths, while Howard argued in favor of his idea. James, he said, would not understand the maneuver and likely would do nothing in response. The rear of the Scottish position could hardly be stronger than the one they already faced, and by inserting themselves between James and the border the English would be well placed to cut off the retreating Scots. Surrey chimed in that his charter from Henry precluded him from entering Scotland without permission—another argument in favor of fighting the enemy where they stood.

The undecided nobles in the council eventually came to appreciate Howard’s idea, forgetting for the moment their ever-present hunger and the damp, bone-chilling September weather. Finally, with Surrey’s blessing, a decision was reached: Howard would lead the army around the Scottish position, an eight-mile forced march in the face of the enemy. That decided, the jittery council members departed to supervise their men in finding shelter for the night and foraging, for any available edibles. Afterward, they would attempt to get some sleep themselves, for tomorrow they would undertake Lord Thomas’s daring strategy, and either be victorious or die trying.

Giving the Order

At first light on the September 8, Surrey gave orders for the army to prepare for its march around the Scots, with Howard leading the army into its new position, hopefully without any inconvenient interference from the Scots. To further complicate matters, a lashing rain began within the hour and drenched the miserable men, soaking their pitiful loaves of bread—all they had to eat. After proceeding for three grueling miles, Howard called a halt while he and several officers ventured ahead to assess the Scottish position. Howard hoped to discern a more favorable approach from the east, which would prevent them from having to completely encircle the Scots. But the marsh protecting the Scottish flank was more extensive than first realized, ruling out that possibility. Returning to his troops, Howard ordered them to resume the difficult and risky maneuver of encirclement. For the time being, at least, the rain and mist were of some help in serving to mask their northeasterly movements.

This article is from the April 2005 issue of Military Heritage Magazine. If you would like to read the rest of this and other articles, visit our order page to see which digital editions we have on offer.

Add Your Comments

One Comment

  1. Posted November 8, 2014 at 4:39 am | Permalink

    It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate
    to this excellent blog! I guess for now i’ll settle for book-marking
    and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to new updates and will talk about this blog
    with my Facebook group. Chat soon!

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

Issue Previews

Bushwhackers, Jayhawks, and Red Legs: Missouri’s Guerrilla War

Bushwhackers, Jayhawks, and Red Legs: Missouri’s Guerrilla War

By the time the Civil War began, opposing forces in Bleeding Kansas and Missouri had been killing each other for five years. And were very good at it.

Killing Squad: Nazi Germany’s Einsatzgruppen

Killing Squad: Nazi Germany’s Einsatzgruppen

The Nazi Einsatzgruppen began the World War II’s most closely guarded operation: the annihilation of the Jews.

Vietnam War Weapons: The AC-47 Gunship

Vietnam War Weapons: The AC-47 Gunship

The AC-47 gunship proved the concept of the aerial gunship as a close support weapon in the skies over Vietnam.

The Battle of Waynesboro: Jubal Early’s Last Stand

The Battle of Waynesboro: Jubal Early’s Last Stand

His army reduced to shambles, Confederate General Jubal Early waited uneasily at Waynesboro, Virginia, to do battle one last time with Phil Sheridan.

facebook gplus twitter youtube rss

Enter Your Log In Credentials

Forgot your Password?